A territory of the United States of America, Puerto Rico, is THE place to be. It is loaded with rich history and culture, scrumptious seafood, attractive beaches, and the ‘no-filter’ beauty of nature.
As it is a part of the United States, American citizens do not need a passport to visit Puerto Rico, and it is as easy as boarding a domestic flight. Only a government-issued photo ID like a driver’s license or birth certificate is required for you to go to this Caribbean Island. But if a U.S. citizen is traveling from a foreign country, then that individual will need a passport to go to Puerto Rico.
This magical island offers you the best of Spanish culture and history, forests, and gorgeous beaches where you can get tanned or have a resort vacation. And now, if you have made up your mind to travel to Puerto Rico but are still confused as to where to start, we are here to answer some of your questions.
Where is Puerto Rico located?
Puerto Rico lies between the Caribbean Sea and the North Atlantic Ocean, west of the Virgin Islands and east of the Dominican Republic. You can travel to some of the U.S. cities that are close to Puerto Rico, such as Miami, which has a flying time of 2 hours and 32 minutes. You can also visit Fort Lauderdale and Chicago, which are respectively 2 hours and 35 minutes and 4 hours and 36 minutes away.
What is the time in Puerto Rico now?
Time in Puerto Rico is in the Atlantic Standard time zone, which is the same as the Eastern time zone, except the Puerto Rico time zone does not have daylight saving time.
What is the Puerto Rico currency?
Puerto Rico’s currency is the US Dollar. You can easily use your travelers’ check, debit, and credit cards and even access money at ATMs while staying on the island.
What are the major cities in Puerto Rico?
1. San Juan is a popular tourist place. You can’t go back without getting a taste of the Caribbean culture in the capital of Puerto Rico.
2. Arecibo is a place for the ones looking for some adventurous mountain treks. You can also explore hidden caves here.
3. Fajardo is a tourist-friendly place, which is popular for its water sports.
4. Carolina is one of the best cities in Puerto Rico known for its restaurants, beautiful beaches, and scenic beauty.
How to travel to Puerto Rico?
Puerto Rico is easily accessible by flight and also by cruise from cities in the US like Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and even New York.
Luis Munoz Marin International Airport in San Juan is the busiest airport in Puerto Rico and the main center of American Airlines.
Mercedita International Airport in Ponce is the main airport of Ponce with direct service from Orlando and New York via JetBlue Airways.
You can scale up your vacation game by traveling to Puerto Rico on a cruise that will take you through a bustling city, tropical terrain, and remote beaches.
Where to stay in Puerto Rico?
Puerto Rico is a traveler-friendly destination and has a variety of accommodation options ranging from backpacker hostels to five-star luxury hotels and resorts. There are also a lot unique homes and resorts on Airbnb and other similar providers.
Some of our favorite places to stay are -
1.Tropical Camping, Arecibo is the best Airbnb in Puerto Rico. You have to walk down a forest to reach the property and is also close to the ocean.
2. Santurcia Hostel, San Juan, is a modern hostel with a bohemian touch. It is a great place for those who like to meet other travelers.
3. The Ritz Carlton in San Juan is probably the best five-star hotel in Puerto Rico and is the epitome of beachside luxury.
What to eat in Puerto Rico?
Puerto Rico cuisine is a medley of cultural influences from across the world especially Spain,and Africa. It also in based heavily in the native cuisine of the Taino Arawak culture. Here's some of the must-eat dishes in Puerto Rico -
- Arroz con gardules is heralded as a quintessential Puerto Rican dish. It is a rice dish made with pigeon peas and pork.
- Mofongo is a Puerto Rican cuisine that contains meat, seafood, or vegetables on top of mashed plantains.
- Pastelon is a staple casserole dish that contains mashed plantains layered with minced meat.
- Pernil is one of the most famous pork dishes in Puerto Rico and is mostly available at weddings, birthdays, and Christmas.
- Tripleta is something that Americans would love to gorge on. It is a lip-smacking, popular sandwich made with meat, fries, ketchup, mayonnaise, cheese, and vegetables and can be found on a fast-food joint.
What are the major attractions in Puerto Rico?
- Old San Juan is a major attraction for those who love history and architecture.
- If you want to spot bioluminescence, the best place to witness this would be at Bioluminescent Bay in Puerto Rico, where single-celled organisms glow in the water at night. You can book your stay at any of the resorts at Vieques and Bioluminescent Bay, which is a popular beach resort that is known for this natural phenomenon.
- El Yunque National Forest is a major attraction for nature and trek lovers, which is also home to the only tropical rainforest in the U.S.
- Juan Diego Falls is one of the most famous waterfalls in Puerto Rico, but a secluded one where you can swim easily.
- Culebra Island has some of the best coral reefs in the Caribbean. A perfect place for those who are looking to unwind.
- Ponce’s Historic City Center is home to beautiful churches, plazas, colonial buildings, and is a delight for the history and architecture buffs.
- Isla Verde is a tropical getaway for the ones looking for a relaxing resort that is easily accessible from the airport.
- Camuy Caves is the third-largest in the world, with rooms and high ceilings that will open you to nature’s wonders.
- El Morro is a famous landmark, which is a fortress with one of the most fascinating structures on the island.
- Seven Seas Beach is a family-friendly beach with good facilities for a relaxing and refreshing getaway.
Puerto Rico is every beach lover’s heaven, making it a great Caribbean tourist destination. It has become popular for travelers in recent years. This Caribbean paradise is a beautiful mix of a secluded beaches, relaxing and luxurious resorts, forest treks, Spanish architecture, a bioluminescent bay, and adventurous water sports. Also, you can swim on beaches, lie under the sun, zipline through forests and walk down underground caves.
You will experience nature in its purest form and explore tourist-friendly places, which will make your trip blissful and successful. Apart from that, try to strike a conversation with Puerto Ricans to know more about their tradition, culture, and food. Plan a perfect and unforgettable getaway with your specific travel needs and preferences to explore the diversity of Puerto Rico with Voyayge's travel designers.